What is the Role of an Orthopedic Surgeon in Workers’ Compensation Cases?

As an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in shoulder and knee problems, I treat a large number of workers’ compensation injuries. Specifically, I see a lot of patients with rotator cuff injuries, labral tears above the shoulder, torn ACLs and meniscus tears above the knee. These patients are typically referred to me by case managers, adjusters and employers who want to see patients return to work as quickly as possible. It is my job to determine if a patient had a pre-existing condition or experienced an on-the-job injury, and restore the patient’s functioning to the highest level possible in an efficient amount of time. One thing case managers, adjusters and employers don’t want to see is a patient out of work for an extended period.

In the following video, I describe the orthopedic care I provide to patients with workers’ compensation injuries and my relationship with case managers, adjusters and employers:

Patients, case managers, adjusters and employers may also find the following information useful:

Dr. Lowry Jones, Jr.About the Author: Lowry Jones, Jr., M.D. is a board-certified orthopedic surgeon specializing in conditions of the shoulder and knee, as well as workers compensation injuries. He also treats disorders of the foot and ankle, hip, back and elbow.

 * * *

The medical information contained in the Dickson-Diveley Orthopaedics website is provided to increase your knowledge and understanding of orthopedic conditions. This information should not be interpreted as recommendations for a specific medical or surgical treatment plan. As each patient may have specific symptoms or associated problems, the treatment regimen for a specific patient may not be the proper treatment for another.

Gaining knowledge and understanding of a particular problem or condition is the first step in any medical treatment plan. Information presented here is intended to be helpful for those individuals experiencing a severe rotator cuff tear, upper extremity disorder, or other related problems. However, this information is not intended to replace the advice of your physician. You are encouraged to consult with your primary care physician to discuss any course of treatment presented or suggested.