LEAWOOD – The national health insurance company, Aetna, has once again designated Dickson-Diveley Orthopaedics physicians as Aexcel specialists. Based on clinical performance, practice efficiency and volume of Aetna patients seen in a reporting period, Aetna awards this designation every two years to top-performing physicians and medical practices in 12 medical specialties, including orthopedics.
With regard to clinical performance, Aetna measures:
- Readmission to a hospital within 30 days after an initial hospital stay
- Serious problems during hospital stays
- The physician’s industry recognitions
- The physician’s board certification status
- Use of electronic prescribing or electronic medical records
Aetna also looks at efficiency. Those factors include:
- The cost for services
- The number and types of services performed
- Resources used to treat the doctor’s patients
Each physician must see more than 20 Aetna patients over a three-year period to gather enough data for the Aexcel distinction.
All Dickson-Diveley Orthopaedics physicians are members of the Aexcel specialist performance network. Aexcel designations renew effective January 1, 2016.