About The Role
The Kansas City Orthopedic Alliance is dedicated to providing an inclusive, diverse, welcoming, team-oriented job environment that affords our employees an opportunity to grow and excel in their positions. Our commitment is to each other and our patients. This allows us to deliver the gold standard of patient care, communication, treatment and outcomes at every step of the healthcare process. Customer service, empathy and logic will drive our decision-making and influence our culture of selflessness and charity. This team is greater than the sum of its parts, but each individual’s contribution will lead to the ultimate success of our company.
Essential Physical Demands:
Inability to meet one or more of these physical and/or mental requirements will not automatically disqualify a candidate, or employee from the position. Upon request for a reasonable accommodation, the Company may be able to adjust or excuse one or more of these requirements, depending on the requirement, the essential functions to which it relates, and the proposed accommodation.
- Hearing: Adequate to perform job duties in person and over the telephone.
- Speaking: Must be able to communicate clearly to patients in person and over the telephone.
May require frequent sitting or standing, and repetitive hand movements (specifically keyboarding and writing throughout a regular work shift).
- Answer and direct phone calls appropriately.
- Utilizes ‘decision-tree’ to ensure that the appropriate provider is identified and selected for the patient during the scheduling process.
- Pre-collection of valid information; insurance information, patient demographics, etc.
- Communicates clearly and effectively with patients, referral sources, etc. while providing excellent customer service.
- Receives referrals via a variety of sources (fax, email, patient portal, practice management system, etc.), verifies information, and schedules the appointments with the appropriate provider.
- Provides critical information to patients to ensure they are able to locate facilities (address, directions, points of reference, proper entrance, etc.)
- Responsible for confirming insurance coverage and eligibility of patient while scheduling appointments using EMR based on-line tools.
- Maintains strict patient confidentiality adhering to all HIPPA compliance regulations.
- Paging of physicians as needed by other MD/Hospitals for urgent issues.
- Ensures that patients are responsible for providing records from previous treatments that might impact the ability of KCOA providers to deliver care.
- Demonstrates positive interpersonal relations with patients, fellow employees, and providers.
- Computer skills including: keyboarding, navigation of web-site and accurately inputting information.
- Communication skills with an emphasis on proper grammar and the use of active listening to ensure patients understand the information being delivered.
- Ability to use office equipment including fax, phone, computer and copy machine
- Skill in customer service principles by creating a comfortable atmosphere for patients and co-workers and external agencies
- Skill in answering the telephone in a pleasant and helpful manner
- Ability to read, understand and follow oral, and written instruction.
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously and set priorities
- Must be a self-motivator, organized and detail oriented
- Display empathy for patients experiencing a variety of emotional responses
- High school diploma or equivalent (GED).
- The ability to understand and communicate in English is required; Bi-lingual in Spanish is a plus.
- 1 year of relevant experience and/or training, or equivalent combination of education and experience is preferred.
- Knowledge of medical terminology is preferred
- Knowledge of health insurance policies and requirements is preferred